- This event has passed.
Allderdice High School’s Annual Hall Of Fame
April 26, 2018 , 7:00 pm
Pittsburgh Allderdice High School will once again recognize distinguished alumni who are leaving their mark on the world. This year, alumni Devra Davis, Brenda Ekwurzel, Michael Himelstein, Tereneh Mosley, and Jackson Wright will join the Taylor Allderdice Hall of Fame.
• _Devra Davis, Ph.D., MS, founder and president of the Environmental Health Trust, is an environmental health researcher and author whose publications include When Smoke Ran Like Water, a 2003 National Book Award Finalist that reviews environmental pollution over the years, including the 1948 smog emergency in Donora.
• _Brenda Ekwurzel, Ph.D., MS, is director of climate science at the Union of Concerned Scientists and co-author of Cooler Smarter: Practical Steps for Low-Carbon Living. Dr. Ekwurzel leads climate science education aimed at diverse populations to strengthen support for sound, science-based climate policies and has appeared on network news (ABC, CBS, CNN, Fox News) and The Colbert Report.
• _Michael Himelstein is a composer, lyricist, and producer whose music has been recorded by artists ranging from the Temptations, Al Jarreau, and the Brian Setzer Orchestra. His music is featured in TV, films, and on stage in productions like The Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, Sid the Science Kid, Blades of Glory, and Shrek, the movie and Broadway musical.
• _Tereneh Mosley, MS is a fashion designer who specializes in collaborations with Maasai artisans from Kenya and has exhibited around the world. She founded Idia’Dega: Elegant Ethical Apparel and Global Eco-Design Collaboration, which brings together environmentally sustainable practices with indigenous community artisans to create a global creative community.
• _Jackson Wright, MD, Ph.D., emeritus professor of medicine at Case Western Reserve University, is a physician-researcher who studies antihypertensive and cholesterol-lowering agents, especially in minority populations. He has had a major role in many significant clinical outcome trials in black populations and is a recipient of the American Heart Association’s 2015 Clinical Research Prize.
The Hall of Fame Ceremony will take place on Thursday, April 26th at 7:00 pm in the Allderdice auditorium. The unveiling of permanent wall plaques representing each of the inductees and a reception will follow the induction ceremony. The public is welcome to attend; no reservations are required.
Taylor Allderdice High School, also referred to as “Pittsburgh Allderdice,” is a public high school located in the Squirrel Hill neighborhood of Pittsburgh, PA. The school opened in 1927 and is named for industrialist and Squirrel Hill resident Taylor Allderdice, who was a member of the city’s first school board and president of the National Tube Company, which was a subsidiary of the U.S. Steel Corporation.
Contact: Jamy Rankin (firstname.lastname@example.org; 313-600-2822)