Dr. David L. Chamovitz
CHAMOVITZ: Dr. David L. Chamovitz, 88, formerly of Aliquippa, passed away in his Jerusalem home on January 6, 2014, surrounded by his family. Dr. Chamovitz was raised in Aliquippa, attended Geneva College and graduated from Harvard Medical School in 1948. Following advanced training in Boston and Pittsburgh, Dr. Chamovitz returned to Aliquippa in 1956, and was one of the founding doctors of the Aliquippa Hospital. He took great pride in founding in 1964 the first cardiac care unit in Western Pennsylvania, and later, the Department of Nuclear Medicine, both of which he directed, and also served as Chief of Medicine. Dr. Chamovitz was very active in local and national Jewish causes, including serving as national vice-president of United Synagogue. In 1984, Dr. Chamovitz fulfilled his life-long dream and moved to Israel, where he continued as Chief of nuclear Medicine at the Wolfson Hospital near Tel Aviv. He retired from medicine in 2010, when he moved to Jerusalem. Throughout his active professional life he was actively involved in his family’s life and was generous with his love and time. He was preceded in death by his brothers Allen (in WWII), Dr. Irv Chamovitz and Dr. Jerome Chamovitz, and his daughter Amy Chamovitz. He is survived by his wife of 59 years Marcia Chamovitz, daughter Dr. Raina Rosenberg, also of Jerusalem, son Prof. Daniel Chamovitz, of Hod Hasharon ,Israel, five grandchildren, and brother Dr. Robert Chamovitz of Pittsburgh.