The synagogue building on North Negley Avenue that formerly housed Congregation B’nai Israel will be repurposed into 45 mixed-income rental housing units while integrating the historic building’s rotunda/sanctuary in its design.
The building, which most recently housed the Urban League of Greater Pittsburgh Charter School, was sold to Boston-area development firm, Beacon Development.
Earlier this month, Beacon, and Ralph A. Falbo, Inc., MCAPS LLC, secured Pennsylvania low-income tax credits from the state for the project, called North Negley Residences. TheGarfield development will incorporate significant energy efficiency and sustainable features, as well as community amenities.
Congregation B’nai Israel was located in that building from 1923 until 1996, when the congregation moved to Fox Chapel. PJC